Saturday, May 21, 2011

Frank F. Speck


My great grandfather, Frank Friedrich Speck, was born today, May 21st in 1887. While Frank's early years are still a mystery to me (I have yet to find anything about him prior to 1915), I have learned much about him through The Daily Independent, the local newspaper in Monessen, PA.

Frank was a proprietor of a moving and storage business in Monessen. He was partners with John Bwash when they owned Marple Transfer. The Specks lived next door to the Marples in 1930, but I do not know the connection between them, other than the company name.


In 1922, there is a notice in the newspaper about the dissolution of their partnership when John Bwash retires. By 1924, the company is known as Speck Transfer and Moving Company.

I also was able to learn a little about Frank from deed records in Westmoreland County. From 1918 to about 1920, Frank (and his wife Elizabeth) bought several homes and/or lots and resold them for a profit, usually within about a year. I believe that they did live in some of these homes, as their address changed quite a bit during these years. Others were bought and sold with a WH Keefer. During this time, Frank worked at the Foundry (Census and Draft Card) and was not yet in the moving business.

Look for another post about Frank's life in the 1930s.

No comments:

Post a Comment